Pages

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

One month post BR

It's been one month (almost 5 weeks) since my reduction surgery.  Healing is going well.  I still have a couple of open spots, but they are coming along.  I am very thankful that no complications have arisen yet.  I am on a BR forum, and there are several women who have not been so lucky.  I don't know exactly how things went wrong in their cases, but in several cases it is due to the patient being a smoker.  Wound recovery can be a huge deal in the case of a BR.  I mean, we're talking an average of 30 inches of incisions - and six different points of intense stress on the sutures.

After looking at hundreds of different outcomes, I can rest very assured that I came out smelling like roses.  Nothing is looking off in unwanted directions, things are even, proportionate and healing.  I feel very lucky.  I did research my PS, (but perhaps not as well as I could have/should have), and he did an excellent job - no complaints.   In hindsight, the best advice I can give to anyone thinking about getting a breast reduction is to arm yourself as much as you can with research about the procedure, the risks, the surgeon, the methodologies, the recovery and so forth.  Go armed with realistic expectations, a firm idea about what end result you expect, and a list of questions particular to your case.

I am feeling pretty good.  I guess I am experiencing less back pain - I just need to really work on my posture.  There has been no change in my shoulder indentations.  I wonder if they will ever go away?  Things are beginning to settle, there is less swelling - one side more than the other, and a little less discomfort.  I feel like I have an extremely tight underwire bra on, at all times.  Of course I am not wearing one (hope I never have to again), but the incisions feel that way.  I still have a rather painful opening on my left side, where my incision begins, right at band height.  It is about the size of a nickel.  It is so slow in healing - I am feeling a bit frustrated with that.

I went for my first all-out walk yesterday, and it felt...okay.  There is some 'bounce' now, and that doesn't feel so good...  But it certainly is not anything like it used to be.  It just feels so good to get out and moving again.

I didn't do a weigh-in post last week since there has been no activity on my part.  I am entering my third week of cold-nastiness.  I'm in the last stage of the frustrating crap that never seems to leave your lungs, but I have my energy back so I am moving again!  The great news is that even after five weeks of relative ZERO activity, I've moved down the scale 5 lbs.  Okay... 3.1 lbs of that was 'boob', but the other bit I'll take as a gift, because I certainly didn't earn it.

I went to my family doctor last Monday because I had come down with pink eye - yay!  :( - and the intake nurse did my usual height/weight/temp/BP.... I'm down 20 lbs...and my doctor makes no mention of this.  Surely you would think they would say something?  Even if just to make sure that you were losing weight intentionally (and in a safe way) and not because of some underlying condition?  Hmmm.  I have my actual annual physical next week, maybe she will say something about it then.

No comments:

Post a Comment