Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Resolution Run 5K

 
Earlier this evening I dressed up for the cold, and took part in the Resolution Run 5K. I had made up my mind one hot July day when I was out walking that this was going to be my goal for the year. My BR surgery totally waylayed any kind of preparation after October, apart from a handful of runs between then and tonight. But here I was, ready to meet my challenge to myself, and I DID IT!

I ran down those miles, and those demons of doubt, disappointment and regret. I pushed through. I ran my fastest mile yet, at 11:18 for my mile 3 split. (I love how the Map My Run app breaks down the run into splits and averages and so forth.). That mile hurt! I was keeping pace with another lady, who remained just a few feet in front of me. She was determined to not allow herself to be passed by me. She must have been tired, because she kept alternating between running and walking, but I just couldn't get enough 'oomph' in my step to pass her. It must have spurred me to run as hard as I did.

I reached all of my goals:
1. Finish.
2. Don't hurt myself....Although now, a few hours later, I can't walk.... :/
3. At least pass somebody...and I did! The most gratifying pass was a skinny-little-something that must of had noooo stamina because I passed her after the first mile. That felt awesome. Fitness isn't about how you look, but how well you are conditioned!
4. Finish under 45 minutes. I did! 38:25 was my time. I even had enough left in me to sprint the last little bit.
5. It was a goal to run the entire way. I had a nasty cramp develop under my diaphragm at about 1 1/2 miles, and had to slow to a walk for about a half mile so that it could work itself out. I still feel a bit of pain from it, even now... The good news is that after a short rest it felt better, so I picked up my speed and ran for the rest of the race. I am soooo proud of that. It means more to me than if I had run the whole way.

My goal for this coming year is to run a 10K, and improve my time in the 5K.

I hope you were able to meet your exercise goals this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment