Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Surgery and the first day of recovery...

The night before surgery was hard.  It was hard to kiss and hug the kids goodnight because I would be leaving for the hospital with my mom before they got up that next morning.  The surgery center itself was great.  I wasn't nervous about what was about to happen, but I was nervous about something going wrong, or having a bad reaction to something.  None of that was the case - at least so far.

The PS removed 630g from my left and a whopping 818g from the right (that's just over 3 lbs total).  And I am pretty sure most of that was side boob because that is where I hurt the most right now... :( It took me nearly four hours to get through recovery.  The nurse kept pushing the pain meds through my IV, which would, in turn, make me sleepy, so it was hard to rouse me.  Dean kept pushing the ice chips, crackers and apple juice and I finally I woke up enough and had enough in my stomach that she could give me a pain pill and I could go home.  I slept off and on for the rest of the day.  I was bound very, very tightly, and the dressings were shoved under my boobs so much that what boob was left was practically touching my chin.  Okay - maybe a slight exaggeration, but if your to squeeze your boobs together from the sides and then push them up, that was how I was bound.  It was hard to breathe.

I am to be drinking water constantly to flush the anesthesia out of my system, but that is not so hard because one of my meds is giving me cotton-mouth anyway.  I'm not nauseous for the most part, thanks to a anti-nausea patch they put behind my ear. I'm still a bit unsteady on my feet, so as long as I am laying down (I have to recline at 45 degrees for a couple of weeks), everything is fine.  As soon as I sit or stand up, the pain along my incisions is very intense.  The pain meds can only do so much...

I have seen them - I went to the PS yesterday for my post-op, and the nurse unbound me and checked all of the incisions.  I looked in the mirror.  They will be the perfect size once the swelling subsides.  I thought that I would cry tears of joy when I saw them, but the reality hasn't sunk in yet.  They hurt too much to appreciate what has happened...  Right now they are so swollen that they are rock-hard.  The nurse helped me put on a sports bra that I got at Walmart.  She had suggested getting a front closure that doesn't have molded cups.  There are no cup sizes for this particular bra, just a band size (I got a 36).  When I had purchased this bra, I said to myself, "You've got to be kidding me..."  I'm actually going to FIT into this thing???  Lo' and behold, I did!  It is very tight (because of the swelling) but that is a good thing, because compression will help.  I have two maxi pads in each side, running in opposite directions to cover the incision lines, plus a rolled up wad of gauze shoved into each side, under the arm pit, to keep my boobs pushed forward.  That is what is most uncomfortable right now.  I look like a linebacker...  I have to keep those gauze rolls in there for two weeks.  :(

Today I get to take a shower and just rest up...

No comments:

Post a Comment